ArkSwitch is an easy to use, finger-friendly task manager for Windows Mobile 6.5.3 (with a WM6.5 compatibility mode). It is developed mainly in C#, with a C++ helper DLL.
There are many task managers floating around out there, with lots of neat features and great UIs. Been looking for a good replacement for the HTC Task Manager home screen button that no longer works properly in Windows Mobile 6.5.3.
This application was designed specifically for WM6.5.3. Although it has been reported to work on WM6.5, I cannot recommend its use on that OS. You could enable WM6.5 compatibility mode, but it just wouldn't be the same without top bar integration.
ArkSwitch can be opened from any screen that has the top bar visible.
You can click the text of an app to bring it to the foreground, click the icon to view the App Info screen, or click the red "X" to close it.
How to use:
- Install the CAB.
- Either reboot (it will run on startup) or start it from the start menu --> Tools.
- Click the left half of the top bar to bring it up.
The new v1.1.0 default theme, designed by Long Zheng, is customizable. Starting with this version of ArkSwitch, there is now a Theme directory that contains certain theme images and a config.xml file. The configuration entries should be self-explanatory. Background images are allowed, as people have been asking for them.
SimpleGloss Blue | Dusk | NinjaBlack | Purple Pimp | SRG | Hacienda
ArkSwitch has been tested on VGA, QVGA, and WVGA. It should work on FWVGA as well.
To do list for future versions:
- Possibly add Alt-Tab-like functionality for switching to other apps using a HW button.
- Add free or used RAM percentage, in parentheses or configurable.
- Possibly take over X button to close apps instead of minimizing? Maybe even the start button?
- As possible alternative to the above, have second activation field that kills foreground apps.
- Prevent ArkSwitch from turning on when device is locked.
- Possibly add an icon bar for common tasks on top?
If you like this project, please consider donate to the developer.
- FIX: Shortcut creation (was fixed in an unofficial v1.1.4a release earlier).
- ADD: Quickly killing the foreground app by "scratching" the activation field!
- ADD: German translation.
- ADD: More registry tweaks, including one to disable the "Close All" confirmation.
- FIX: Couple of bugs with the new process mode.
- FIX: Much better stability in general.
- FIX: Better handling of frozen apps (thx MichyPrima).
- CHG: Theming now allows for resolution-aware dynamic image selection (see config.xml for more info).
- ADD: Global memory info is back.
- ADD: Process listing - swipe horizontally on the main task list page to see it (thx MichyPrima).
- FIX: Crash/freeze in certain situations.
- REM: All memory reporting features, probably only temporarily.
- FIX: Stupid crash encountered in some unique situations.
- FIX: Some apps/windows not appearing when they should be.
- CHG: Running as high priority in order to be able to close misbehaving apps.
- ADD: THEMING SUPPORT!
- FIX: Double tmail.exe (and others) listing in certain situations.
- CHG: Reverted back to X button instead of OK button for the main ArkSwitch screen.
- ADD: Memory usage percentage.
- ADD: Experimental memory usage efficiency index on the App Info page.
- FIX: Various QVGA issues.
- FIX: Free/total RAM refreshing when closing apps.
- CHG: Icon rendering now does proper transparency.
- CHG: ArkSwitch's main window X button is now an OK button so that other apps don't try killing it.
- ADD: Internationalization support.
- ADD: Activation field location customization.
- FIX: Overlap issue with certain themes.
- CHG: gwes.exe and shell32.exe are now hard-excluded (i.e., not a choice).
- CHG: Close Task button is now Close All.
- ADD: Manila to default exclusion list.
- ADD: Options screen.
- ADD: Color-coded free/total RAM info on the bottom.
- ADD: Read app icons from start menu (caveat).
- FIX: Resize icons that are too big.
- FIX: Always open ArkSwitch when executed after it's already running.
- ADD: App details screen.
- ADD: Exclusion functionality.
- ADD: Standard app mode (see below).
- Original version.