WMWifiRouter is a tool that turns your Windows Mobile device into almost an Access Point. Almost, because it uses an Ad-Hoc (computer-to-computer) connection instead of infrastructure mode. It's purpose is the same though: allow your WiFi-enabled devices to use your WM device's data connection to connect to the internet.
- Windows Mobile 5 - SmartPhone Edition or PocketPC (with phone functionality) Edition.
- Windows Mobile 6 - Standard or Professional (NOT Classic!).
- A WiFi connection on your device.
- A (cellular) data connection on your device.
- Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) installed (and working) on your device ( \Windows\IntShrui.exe ) - if you do not have this installed, see the FAQ section.
Download the ZIP to install it on your phone through your desktop. Note that you must turn WiFi to ON before you start the installation. The installer will create an Ad-Hoc network called "WMWifiRouter" on your device. On first run, WMWifiRouter will create a backup of some important registry settings it will change during operation as well. Note that the Ad-Hoc network that it creates does not have any security set. Once you are satisfied that everything is working correctly, you should add WEP-based encryption through your control panel.
If you are using a version that doesn't have the installer yet (v0.84 and older) you should first fully remove WMWifiRouter from your device. You can remove the shortcut inside WMWifiRouter itself through the options menu, and you can then just delete the EXE file. Remove the Ad-Hoc network you made and you're all set.
WiFi should be turned on for uninstallation as well.
WMWifiRouter is very simple to operate (if everything goes well). After installation just start the program, press "Connect", wait until the screen gives you a fully green icon and then you can connect your other WiFi-enabled devices to the "WMWifiRouter" network. Once you are connected, for most devices you can just press the power button to turn off the screen and other power using components of your device, while it remains functional as a WiFi router.
NOTICE: If you have a Titan / Mogul or other device that has a hardware WiFi switch, turn this to the on position before starting WMWifiRouter.
NOTICE: Obviously, using WMWifiRouter to tether over WiFi uses your phone's data connection, so you should make sure you have good data plan, or you will be charged extra!
Please go here to get more information.
- Improved registry backup / crash cleanup.
- Added IP block configuration.
- Now only connects to Ad-Hoc networks.
- Changed some WiFi control code.
- Removed backup notification, seems to annoy smartphone users.
- Added close menu button for about screen, again for smartphone users.
- Added more log messages to catch more problems.
- Added some registry tweaks for WMWifiRouter itself.
- All code is now digitally signed.
- Installers add digital certicate, together with the code signing this may reduce some more smartphone issues.
- Installers adjusted - hopefully fixes the "can't install" issue.
- Added certificate CAB to manually install the code certificate (may help installer issue).
- Added "application only" download.
- Made the use of DHCP Allocator disabled by default.
- Added some log strings.
- Made the use of DHCP Allocator configurable.
- Added some code that hopefully prevents ICS from randomly popping up (again).
- Corrects ActiveSync issue.
- WiFi settings break again for when WiFi is turned off.
- Removed some rebind calls.
- Issue where WiFi settings were not available after running WMWifiRouter fixed.
- Tweaked DHCP and connection settings.
- Added CAB (Windows Mobile) installer.
- Added EXE (Windows XP/Vista) installer.
- Modified the icons (the small icon is still not perfect, but getting close).
- Moved creation of Ad-Hoc network to the installers.
- Moved creation of shortcut to the installers.
- Ad-Hoc network is no longer hidden.
- Fixed issue with internal backups that could corrupt registry.
- Changed Crash Cleanup code to use previously saved backup.
- Added a sort of setup for first run:
o Notifies of backup and Crash Cleanup option.
o Optional start menu shortcut creation.
o Optionally let WMWifiRouter create the Ad-Hoc network for you (this is EXPERIMENTAL).
- Added DHCP registry tweaks. Apparently, DHCP didn't work for everybody, I hope this will resolve that issue. IP addresses given out by DHCP start at .32 and run to .254, this leaves .2 to .31 to use as static addresses (no DHCP).
- Timeout tweaks added, hopefully the WiFi will now no longer disconnect during longer periods of no activity.
- The ID of the network the phone is connected to is now displayed.
- Small GUI adjustments.
- Like every other release, timings have been adjusted again.
- Modified the way the images are embedded in the exe... compiler went crazy.
- Tweaked timings again.
- Added WLAN timeout, if the WLAN doesn't respond to WMWifiRouter it should no longer crash your phone, but give you an error instead.
- Changed interface to use big icons and animations.
- Added new program icons, still needs some work though.
- Added option to make the log visible.
- Added about screen (with new logo).
- Added options to create/remove shortcut in your program menu.
- Added extra registry backup/restore functionality.
- Added detection for ICS, with the optional error message.